test

test

Friday, January 20, 2012

The Novice Novelist
Within the realm of fiction writing, I readily admit to being a neophyte by any standard.  As a contributing columnist addressing real estate topics at a local newspaper, my writing was journalistic and factual.  Years later, in college at the age of sixty-three – yes, sixty-three – my essays and theses for history, English and philosophy classes were interpretive and conceptual.  Although neither foray into writing directly addressed fiction-writing skills, positive responses in the latter experience fostered within me a desire to write a novel, the general storyline of which had been percolating in my mind for years.
In a fit of blind exuberance, I began writing the great American novel eighteen months ago.  Painfully aware of my limited expertise, I also began reading everything within my grasp about the craft, including magazines, books, online references, blogs, agent reviews, etc.  Naturally, I wanted to learn how to seize my readers’ interest on the first page and kidnap their minds until the very last page.  Of course, I also wanted to recognize the potholes and detours on the road to publication.  In all that research, I never encountered an article written by a relative newcomer to the art.
In the name of all that is rational, why would anyone listen to the views of a novice, an amateur, a beginner in any field?  Because NASA listens to high school students who suggest viable and valuable experiments in space.  Because rare is the parent who, when asked a seemingly simple question by their young child, didn’t pause to question their own conclusions about life or their philosophical view of reality.  Because most home builders, auto mechanics and other trades encounter a new hire who suggests a better, faster, or less expensive technique.  Because to ignore meaningful input from a fresh, even amateur, perspective can mean neglecting that glint of insight that we were unaware was missing.
Therein lies the reason I started this blog – to document my journey from novice fiction writer to – well...hopefully – publication.  During subsequent drafts of my first novel, I noticed repeating patterns of beginners' blunders, and during a review by a professional editor friend, I was forthrightly, albeit diplomatically, apprised of others.  I intend to highlight pitfalls, potholes, and detours that I have encountered -- and will encounter -- along the way.  Maybe it will help other beginning writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment